Hello and welcome to Nursery.
Hello and welcome to Nursery.
Our class name is Dosbarth Draenog, this means ‘Hedgehog Class’ in Welsh.
Below we have included some information about our class and how we work. We are available to answer any of your questions when you drop your child off at 8.50 a.m. or at 11.30 a.m. when you pick them up. If you need to speak to us outside of these hours please phone the school so that we can arrange a mutually convenient time to meet.
The people who work in our class are:
Mrs Steen (Class teacher)
Mrs Atkins (NNEB)
Mrs Wooding (TA)
Mrs Sharley (TA)
Our week in school and some important things to remember:
- Book bags will be sent home on a Friday and should be returned to school on a Monday
- If Benny Bear comes home with your child on a Thursday he should be returned to school on the following Monday.
- Play bags will be sent home on a rota basis throughout the year. They will be sent home on a Friday and should be returned by the following
- Snack money is £1.50 weekly and should be sent into school in a named envelope or paid online.
- Forest School – we will be going up to Forest School as often as we can, so all children need to have a pair of wellies (named please) which can be kept in school.
- Seesaw – please sign up to Seesaw as soon as you receive your parent invitation letter to enable us to share your child’s learning with you
Please remember to inform a member of staff when your child is attending any after school sessions – Kiddies World or After School Club
What are we learning about this term?
Our focus this term is on getting to know each other really well. We will be following children’s interests and encouraging them to lead their own learning in the context of which we will be focussing on:
- Independence and self-help skills.
- Building relationships with staff and peers.
- Sharing and taking turns
- Family and friends
- Sorting, counting and matching.
- Understanding numbers to 5 and beyond
- Exploring shape and pattern
- Speaking and listening skills.
- Responding to instructions.
- Asking and answering simple questions
- Singing songs and rhymes.
- Role play in areas such as the Home corner, Baby Clinic, Christmas House, Teddy Shop, Slipper Shop and Toy Shop
- Handling books and enjoying stories
- Exploring sources of light in the Dark Den
- Encouraging mark-making
- Seasonal changes.
- Investigating natural objects including a pumpkin
- What our bodies can do
- Painting and printing.
- How we celebrate.
- Developing fine and gross motor skills.
- Using the interactive whiteboard and iPad
Learning at home
Reading – children will bring a book of their choice home for you to read to them in their book bag every Friday. Please feel free to write in your child’s reading log to record their response to the book.
Home/School link sheets – we will be sending home suggestions of activities you could do with your child to support their learning linked to our focus book and/or current topic on a regular basis.
Purple Mash – we will set ‘to do’ tasks on this platform on a regular basis – a parent session to explain this will be held in the Autumn Term
Play bags – we will be sending bags home on a rota basis throughout the term.
Important dates for Nursery this term
Thursday 13th September- Drop in session for parents to meet the teacher (Years 1-6)
Monday 15h October & Tuesday 16th October- Parents evening for all classes from 3:30pm
Thursday 25th October- Autumn disco
Friday 26th October – School closes for half term
Friday 30th November – Christmas Market
Week beginning 10th December – Christmas concerts
Tuesday Dec 11th – Nursery/Reception Concert
Friday 21st December – School closes for Christmas