Hello and welcome to Nursery.
Hello and welcome to Nursery.
Our class name is Dosbarth Draenog, this means ‘Hedgehog Class’ in Welsh.
Below we have included some information about our class and how we work. We are available to answer any of your questions when you drop your child off at 8.50 a.m. or at 11.30 a.m. when you pick them up. If you need to speak to us outside of these hours please phone the school so that we can arrange a mutually convenient time to meet.
The people who work in our class are:
Mrs Steen (Class teacher)
Mrs Wooding (TA)
Mrs Sharley (TA)
Miss Jones (TA)
Please remember we are available to answer any of your questions when you drop your child off at 8.50 a.m. or at 11.30 a.m. when you pick them up.
Our week in school and things to remember:
Book bags are sent home on a Friday and should be returned to school on a Monday morning.
If Benny Bear comes home with your child on a Thursday, he should be returned to school on the following Monday.
Play bags are sent home on a rota basis throughout the year. They are sent home on a Friday and should be returned by the following Thursday.
Snack money is £1.50 weekly and should be sent into school in a named envelope or paid online.
Forest School – we will be going up to Forest School as often as we can, so all children need to have a pair of wellies (named please) which can be kept in school.
Please remember to inform a member of staff when your child is attending any after school sessions – Kiddies World or After School Club
What are we learning about this term?
Our topics until Easter are:
Wonderful Winter and Celebrations
We will be following children’s interests and encouraging them to lead their own learning in the context of which we will be focussing on:
- Keeping healthy
- Talking about our experiences in more detail
- Asking relevant questions
- Exploring Winter to Spring changes – looking for signs of Spring
- Keeping warm and safe in Winter
- Caring for birds in Winter
- Investigating change in materials
- Developing our mark making skills and letter formation using multi-sensory resources
- Joining in with stories
- Developing our understanding of number and making marks to represent numbers
- Sorting and matching – using the words same/different
- 2D shape – recognising circle, square, triangle
- Beginning to understand 1 more/1 less
- Temperature – using the words hot/cold
- Sorting coins
- Understanding cultural differences – celebrating Chinese New Year
- Creating simple collages
- Developing our scissor skills
- Making a range of celebration cards – Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Easter
- Celebrating Saint David’s Day – learning Welsh songs to perform
- Easter – egg hunt
Learning at home
Reading – children will continue to bring a book of their choice home for you to read to them in their book bag every Friday. Please feel free to write in your child’s reading log to record their response to the book.
Home/School link sheets – we will continue to send home suggestions of activities you could do with your child to support their learning linked to our focus book on a regular basis.
Play bags – we will continue to send them home on a rota basis throughout the term.
Purple Mash – please keep a look out for ‘to do’ activities
Important dates for Nursery this term
Friday 22nd February – school closes for half term
Monday 4th March – Friday 8th March Celebrating Wales Week – Eisteddfod competition entries to be brought into school by Thursday 7th
Friday 8th March – children invited to come to school in Welsh clothing
Wednesday 13th March – Hooked on Books Day – Nursery children are invited to bring their favourite bedtime story into school
Monday 11th and Tuesday 12th March – Parents Evenings
Friday 12th April – school closes for Easter