Hello and welcome to Nursery.
Hello and welcome to Nursery.
This year each class has been named after a Welsh bird or animal. Our class name is Dosbarth Draenog, this means ‘Hedgehog Class’ in Welsh.
Below we have included some information about our class and how we work. We are available to answer any of your questions when you drop your child off at 8.50 a.m. or at 11.30 a.m. when you pick them up.
The people who work in our class are:
Mrs Steen (Class teacher)
Mrs Wooding (TA)
Mrs Sharley (TA)
Miss Jones (TA)
Our week in school and things to remember:
Book bags will be sent home on a Friday and should be returned to school on a Monday morning.
If Benny Bear comes home with your child on a Thursday, he should be returned to school on the following Monday.
Snack money is £1.50 weekly and should be sent into school in a named envelope or paid online.
Forest School – we will be going up to Forest School as often as we can, so all children need to have a pair of wellies (named please) which can be kept in school.
Please remember to inform a member of staff when your child is attending any after school sessions – Kiddies World or After School Club
What are we learning about this term?
Our planned topics are:
Growing and Changing and Out and About
We will be following children’s interests and encouraging them to lead their own learning in the context of which we will be focusing on:
- Keeping safe outdoors
- Friends and relationships
- See how we grow and change
- Making marks to represent numbers
- One more and one less
- Recognising numbers and matching to the relevant quantity
- Counting down from 10
- Estimating up to 5 objects
- Comparing objects by length
- Copying simple 2 element repeating patterns
- Matching objects/pictures to initial sounds
- Learning more letter sounds
- Oral blending of CVC and VC words
- Learning the names of the Oxford Reading Tree characters
- Developing our vocabulary related to animals and the outdoors
- Re-telling a story from pictures
- Sequencing events
- Developing our awareness of rhyming words
- Improving our pencil grip
- Asking relevant questions
- Exploring Winter to Spring and Spring to Summer changes
- Sorting objects into simple categories
- Developing our appreciation of present and past
- Exploring a range of sound sources
- Making choices about materials/equipment to complete a given task
- Using a range of small PE equipment – balls, bats, hoops
Learning at home
Reading – children will continue to bring a book of their choice home for you to read to them in their book bag every Friday. Please feel free to write in your child’s reading log to record their response to the book.
Home/School link sheets – we will continue to send home suggestions of activities you could do with your child to support their learning linked to our topic/ focus book on a regular basis.
Purple Mash – please keep a look out for ‘to do’ activities
Important dates for Nursery this term
6th May – Bank Holiday – School closed
24th May – School closes for Half Term
3rd June school re-opens
Tuesday 4th June Nursery trip to Alyn Waters
Monday 10th June – Reception Induction Meeting for parents
Thursday 13th June – Nursery and Reception Sports a.m.
Thursday 27th June – Common Transfer Day – Nursery children will spend the morning in their new class and stay in school for dinner
Monday 15th July – Nursery Concert a.m.