Hello and welcome to Nursery.
This year each class has been named after a Welsh bird or animal. Our class name is Dosbarth Draenog, this means ‘Hedgehog Class’ in Welsh.
Below we have included some information about our class and how we work. We are available to answer any of your questions when you drop your child off at 8.50 a.m. or at 11.30 a.m. when you pick them up.
The people who work in our class are:
Mrs Steen (Class teacher)
Mrs Atkins (NNEB)
Mrs Wooding (TA)
Mrs Sharley (TA)
Miss Caitlin Ion (Bangor University teaching student) until 23-02.18
Our week in school and things to remember:
Book bags will be sent home on a Friday and should be returned to school on a Monday morning.
If Benny Bear comes home with your child on a Thursday, he should be returned to school on the following Monday.
Play bags will be sent home on a rota basis throughout the year. They will be sent home on a Friday and should be returned by the following Thursday.
Snack money is £1.50 weekly and should be sent into school in a named envelope or paid online.
Forest School – we will be going up to Forest School as often as we can, so all children need to have a pair of wellies (named please) which can be kept in school.
Please remember to inform a member of staff when your child is attending any after school sessions – Kiddies World or After School Club
What are we learning about this term?
Our topics until Easter are:
Wonderful Winter and Celebrations
We will be following children’s interests and encouraging them to lead their own learning in the context of which we will be focussing on:
- Keeping healthy
- Talking about our experiences in more detail
- Asking relevant questions
- Exploring Winter to Spring changes – looking for signs of Spring
- Keeping warm and safe in Winter
- Caring for birds in Winter
- Investigating change in materials
- Developing our mark making skills and letter formation using multi-sensory resources
- Joining in with stories
- Developing our understanding of number – making marks to represent numbers
- Sorting and matching – using the words same/different
- 2D shape – recognising circle, square, triangle
- Beginning to understand 1 more/1 less
- Temperature – using the words hot/cold
- Sorting coins
- Understanding cultural differences – celebrating Chinese New Year
- Creating simple collages
- Making a range of celebration cards – Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Easter
- Saint David’s Day – learn Welsh songs to perform
- Easter – egg hunt
Learning at home
Reading – children will continue to bring a book of their choice home for you to read to them in their book bag every Friday. Please feel free to write in your child’s reading log to record their response to the book.
Home/School link sheets – we will continue to send home suggestions of activities you could do with your child to support their learning linked to our focus book on a regular basis.
Play bags – we will continue to send these home on a rota basis throughout the term.
Purple Mash – please keep a look out for ‘to do’ activities
Important dates for Nursery this term
Friday 9th February – school closes for half term
Thursday 1st March – children invited to come to school in Welsh clothing
Friday 2nd March – World Book Day – children to bring a prop to school as a clue to their favourite book ready to share with their friends
Monday 12th and Tuesday 13th March – Parents Evenings
Friday 23rd March – school closes for Easter